Wednesday, June 19, 2013

poetry that moves - when we two parted by Lord Byron

WHEN we two parted
          In silence and tears,
      Half broken-hearted
          To sever for years,
      Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
          Colder thy kiss;
      Truly that hour foretold
          Sorrow to this.
                                   The dew of the morning
          Sunk chill on my brow
          It felt like the warning
          Of what I feel now.
      Thy vows are all broken,
          And light is thy fame:
      I hear thy name spoken,
          And share in its shame.                                      They name thee before me,
          A knell to mine ear;
      A shudder comes o'er me
        Why wert thou so dear?
      They know not I knew thee,
          Who knew thee too well:
        Long, long shall I rue thee,
          Too deeply to tell.                                    In secret we met 
                 In silence I grieve,
      That thy heart could forget,
          Thy spirit deceive.
      If I should meet thee
          After long years,
      How should I greet thee?
         With silence and tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment