Sunday, June 16, 2013

Motivation By Tony Gurr

Tony Gurr's blog post was somewhat confusing, even after reading it several times. After the first few pictures, I was lost. I had to re-read the post again, at least 2 or 3 times. The style of his blog captured my attention even though some of the text seemed a bit off topic, but the pictures had strong meaning behind them.

I'm scrolling through the blog reading the post from the very beginning to the end, but i stopped at this picture...
I was laughing at this picture for quite a while. I mean look at each of the students in the class, and it totally relates to our classrooms today. You have students eating lunch, talking so much during class, daydreaming, sleeping, fooling around, and the list goes on. Every class room is unique and different, but it seems like there is a lack of  motivation and management in the classroom, but it should be about classroom leadership. I agree with Tony that classroom leadership is better than classroom management. Anyone can manage a class, but very few can take leadership in a class. By watching other students take action in classrooms this could make other students motivated to try as well. We need leadership in our classrooms, not for our teachers to motivate us, but our peers and our friends. Depending on certain teachers, there's minimal motivation given to students. For example, someone is failing math class and gives up on studying for the provincial; this shows that the teacher lacks motivations for their students and it seems like teachers just want to teach the course and move on. Isn't the main point of motivation to make sure students are engaging the in course.

We need great teachers to be like this...
Students need to try new things and experience real-world examples and opportunities not just worksheets and tests, otherwise, how are students going to be motivated and how are they going to learn? If our society lacks motivation than how can we encourage the next generations to do the same if our teachers aren't pushing students and little harder and faster to success. With more choices and voices our classrooms can be a bit more welcoming. Learning should be about doing things that bring joy to yourself and others around you. 

I agree with Tony's post on motivation, sometimes we need to change the way things are being taught. Just by giving students a bit more freedom for choices when it comes to work in class, such as assignments and tests students will be a lot more content. Students have to be the first to motivate themselves, and teachers need to allow these changes of students taking over their learning, and to make learning engaging for both students and teachers.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Izabelle,

    Thank you for doing this - I would love you to re-post it on my blog (as a comment to one of the posts on motivation).

    I know the post was a bit confusing - if you did not have enough "background". But, I was so happy to see that you got all the main ideas (hey, you even "got" the idea of classroom LEADERship)...that is important. And, yes...the cartoon by Matt G is hilarious ;-)

    I liked what you said about "joy" - the thing is (and I think İsaac hinted at this in his post) not everything we do in SCHool can (or should) be about "joy". With this thunk in mind...I have a question for you.

    How do you think TEACHers should best "balance" the creative, fun stuff with the "hard stuff" that they also have to do?

    I'm guessing there is many a TEACHer out there in the blogosphere that would love to hear a few student thunks on that question.

    What do you think - are you up to it?

    T..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :)

      Mmmm... That's a good question...

      I thought about that question the whole day, and in my opinion, as you also mentioned in your post that students don't learn from teachers that don't give choices or voices, but I think that some students (including myself, in some situations) don't care about making choices because of the fear of expressing their opinion. I think we should be very fortunate for living in societies that can allow voices to be heard, and we shouldn't take it for granted because there are many others that don't have a voice at all.
      I also think that it's important that students should prove to teachers that we (students) are willing to work with whatever challenge they give us, (so teachers take students seriously) even though students become mentally, physically, and emotionally tired from studying day and night because of exams (including myself)...
      Our learning should be based on how we handled work in class, and how we accepted the hard and the easy challenges together; not only based on testing and exams.

      I hope this answered your question

      P.S. There was a text in your post that I could also relate to, "No, you cannot watch another movie for 2 hours…Zeynep! It’s not Friday, yet!"
      because I watch Turkish Drama series LOL! (but translated in Arabic)

      I hope to hear from you soon
      take care

      Delete
  2. İzabelle,

    Mmmmmm. Turkish TV series...I hear they are very popular in Arab countries (I lived in Dubai for a very long time - but that was in the early days before Turkish TV really took off).

    I loved your THUNKS...so much truth in there ;-) Why don't you re-post this one (as a comment on my blog)?

    Take care,

    T..

    ReplyDelete