Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What If students were to design their own school? My thoughts and Reflections.


Stereotypically when you think of a student designing their own school you think of breaks every 5 minutes that last 5 times the amount you are usually given, long slides instead of stairs and maybe even a roller coaster or two. If those are your thoughts on a student’s credibility for designing their own education program then you might want to find information to back up this hypothesis.

In 2011 eight students from Monument Mountain Regional High School joined together to form their own education system. This new “school” was run by the students and a few select teachers who acted as guides. The pilot took place over the span of one semester and redefined what we thought was the “smart” way to learn.

Having students run the way they learn and work independently from adults can be a very daunting idea for both the authority figure and the participant. Skepticism was the obvious reaction and would still most likely be among most people. But for some this proved an opportunity to learn the way the way they wanted to. By giving the student’s free reign (some restrictions and guidelines were followed) they learnt how to expand their creativity and truly work as a team.

To me the idea of a school run by the students is an empowering and exciting idea. Being able to design my own system of learning and design my studies around what I do best would in some aspects motivate me to work harder. I would enjoy what I am doing but at the same time complete the work needed for me to pass or graduate. If such a program were to open at our school I do not doubt that there would be many others like me who would sign up. This would prove the perfect learning opportunity, whether you have trouble learning in the classroom or even if you just want to push yourself.

A school designed by the students for the students is something that I think is starting to make it is way across North America. It is part of the “education reformation” and should be contemplated by all schools and educators. Who knows, this could possibly be the biggest learning breakthrough for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment